Wednesday, January 9, 2008

John McCain

Lately, it has been bothering me that the similarities between President Bush and John McCain seem to be getting closer and closer. I just don't understand how anyone in their right mind can honestly want four to eight more years of the same crap. I don't understand why any presidential candidate in his right mind would want to emulate such complete arrogance and failure. It has also been bothering me that when asked "knowing what you know now, would you still vote to go to war with Iraq?" To which McCain answered "Yes". If you look at the bottom of this page you can see I have a counter that keeps track of the cost of the Iraq war. 484 trillion dollars! I can-not-even-get-my-head-around-that-much-money! But I do know that Social Services has suffered greatly because of this war, as has the entire country.

In my search for the reasons and for explanations for John McCain I ran across this article on AlterNet that pretty much hits the highlights, here is an excerpt/summary:

"It is rare to see a popular politician mimicking a president with much lower approval ratings. (Bush has crashed into the 30s in several major polls.) Yet as McCain continues his Bushification to win the Republican base, he may alienate the very Americans he needs to win a general election.

Moderate voters were supposedly attracted to McCain's reputation for integrity and independence. If they discover that independence is nothing but a disposable sales pitch from another politician, they may oppose him. McCain must stop pandering to the radical right if he wants to hold the center.

That is why the Bushification strategy is doomed to fail -- you cannot posture a firm ideology for political advantage. You either have one or you don't. And Americans can tell."

I also ran across this article in the Washington Post that is quite long but explains why McCain feels the way he does about the war and after having read it I understand his view but I still agree with AlterNet's statement about the Bushification of John McCain.

No comments:

Post a Comment